Thursday, August 28, 2008

Hypnagogics Diary: Hypnogogia and light sleep


While I have been keeping a dream diary which mostly includes my hypnpgogic/pompic experiences (hence forth referred to as hypnogogic to include both gogic and pompic), I have decided to put them up on my blog as well.
As I look back i realise that I used to indulge in a lot of day dreaming during my childhood days. In addition, as mentioned earlier, I used and continue to have very vivid dreams, some of which I used to note down.
Several years later, when I was in my 30s I began to note a subtle change in the kind of dreams I had at night during deep sleep and the kind of half awake visions and impressions I would get duing my afternoon naps. My naps were, and continue to be, restricted to 20 minutes to half an hour, and are rearely deep sleep states. When I first noticed this change, unlike the normal dreams I had during the night, the afternoon ones were like a string of conscious thoughts trailing off into visuals in my mind of unfamilar places and locations. This continued for several years. However duing my early fortys when I had to shift to Delhi with my two sons and was under a lot of emotional and physical stress that I began to experience really vivid hypnogogic imagery, again, during my afternoon naps (some of these have been describe in my previous posts).
After years of experience I can now conclude that majority of my hypnogogic images and words occur duing my afternoon naps and a few, mostly related to words or sentences, when I wake up in the morning.

No comments: